Women who run with wolves?

Mona Oommen oommen at brazil.psych.purdue.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:21:17 EST 1994

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.941109021703.29771O-100000 at aldus.northnet.org> lobo at aldus.NorthNet.org (Shane Holmes) writes:
>I am in search of wolf biologists/ecologists/ethologists/experts
>throughout the world, i.e. I am seeking E-mail addresses/mail
>addresses/numbers/etc.
>
>I am also interested in info on wolf organizations/research
>facilities/breeding facilities/etc.
>
>Send info via E-mail to lobo at aldus.northnet.org
>
>Thanks,
>
>Shane---> Let the HOWLS be heard!

Hi,
You could write to Dr. Erich Klinghammer, Dept. of Psychological Sciences,
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1364.  He is quite an authority
on the study of wolves in captivity.  A few miles from here, he runs the
Wolf Park in Battle Ground where he does his research.  It is also open
to the public at certain times where he gives talks and demonstrations.
(And wolf howls Fridays at 7:00!)  As for his e-mail address, I'm not
sure what his login id is, but the rest would be psych.purdue.edu.

I have the grad. program brochure in front of me and here's what it says
about his research interests:
Research interests are in the area of ethology, the biologiclal basis of behavior.  From an earlier and continuing interest in imprinting phenomena in doves, he has expanded his research program into the development of predator-prey
relations between wolves and bison, ontogeny of behavior, and social behavior in
wolves.  He and his students observe these animals in captivity and complement
the observations with field trips.
The work consists of the compilation of ethograms [behavioral inventories],
manipulation of specific variables (eg, prior experience, age, etc),
photographic documentation and experimental analysis with respect to communication and population control.  While the research is considered basic, it is hoped that knowledge applicable to the successful management and preservation of thesespecies can be obtained.  In recent years we have also applied ethnological
concepts to the analysis of human-animal interactions --especially canids.

Mona Oommen
.