Children and Grad School

Melisande MRW5 at psuvm.psu.edu
Thu Nov 17 13:01:10 EST 1994

I wanted to thank everyone who's responded publicly and privately
to my query.  You may not believe this, but the one thing I really
didn't think about was the cost of daycare.  Before my fiance and I
adopted our two puppies, we made sure we could afford them, but of
course, they don't need daycare :).
One of the things that really concerns me is that I see a tendency
to take some time off for children, and never make it back into science.
Quite frankly, I'm afraid that if I leave the field, even for a microsecond,
it'll pass me by.  My mother is a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences, and when
she left the field for a year or two, she didn't make it back (As an
aside, does anybody have any tips for getting back in?  She'd like to do
research, but doesn't like teaching, and she'd like to get back into science).
Trying to time the kids right just might make the difference.
And, many other women-in-science issues aside, I think the interaction of
science and family life is a really important issue for women.  For men
it's still not as much of an issue, but that is changing :).

Melisande