Large university vs. small liberal arts

Karen Wheless wheless at sunchem.uucp
Sat Nov 26 13:59:20 EST 1994

.US (Amy Caudy) says:

>>       I am a high school senior in the midst of the college scramble.  I
>> plan to major in microbio or molecular bio.  I have had a long
>> relationship with a local university of fairly good regional reputation
>> where I work on lots of DNA recombination, PCR, and some free radical
>> stuff.  It is a wonderful relationship, but the school is small.  Of
>> course, I would be able to continue my work and not have to beat my way
>> into labs for permission to wash petri dishes.  However, the department
>> has only 11 people (including zoo, botany, and microbio).  Alternatively,
>> I am considering some larger universities (Duke, Case Western, MIT,
>> Harvard).  Being with other highly intelligent students (as well as having
>> a critical mass of professors in research) appeals to me, but I want
to be
>> sure that I have plenty of opportunities for research as an undergraduate.
>>  I plan to go for PhD if not also MD with the plans of becoming a
>> researcher.  My mentor at the small college has told me that I would
>> really be a hot graduate prospect if I got several papers out as an
>> undergrad.  He has said that the opportunities for publication would not
>> be as easy at a larger place.  I would be delighted to hear about any of
>> your experiences, either personally or on the net.  Thank you.
=============

I graduated two years ago from a relatively small college (William and
Mary) and am now a PhD student at the much larger University of Georgia
(in chemistry).  For me, this was the best decision.  Academically, being
at a liberal arts callege helped me immensely - I got a much more well
rounded education in chemistry (because I didn't have to choose a
specialty, the way students often do at larger schools) which has helped
me in my graduate studies.  I also got to study lots of other subjects -
history, music, etc. - which were not only interesting to me, but helped
me in chemistry as well (in writing, reading).  Many of the science
majors I see here at Georgia don't take anything outside of science
except a few boring courses that they have to take - and it shows in
their writing.  You'll also have more of a chance at undergrad research
at a smaller school - although a determined person can do research
anywhere.  Socially, it depends on the atmosphere of the school.  Don't
worry too much about "interacting with scientists" - that will happen
wherever you are, and even at a larger school, many of the students will
have no interest in scientific discussion.  The actual number of
sciene-loving students is probably about the same.  If you can, find out
if the school you're interested in goes to regional scientific meetings
on a regular basis - it's a great way to meet people, and find people who
share your interests.  With e-mail, you can strike up "long-distance"
relationships wherever you are!  Good luck.