feminism

daniel schott dhs3 at postoffice.cornell.mail.edu
Mon Nov 28 19:23:31 EST 1994

" (Besides, why do you think these men can stand to stay
inthe lab for 16 hours a day?  The little wifey is at home taking care
of the kids and hte house all that time.  This shit sure doesn't mke
them amenable to an understanding that science isn't supposed to be your
entire *life*.  They see a woman and think, "*I* don't have a problem
staying here."  Well, that woman doesn't ahve a wife of her own to send
the kids to school and clean the toilet "

Although this seems to be the case for many male senior faculty, I am
hopeful that the situation will change.  Most married/attached students and
postdocs (men and women) who I know are both academics, scientists, or
otherwise career oriented and doing the work/family/etc. balancing act.
Besides, young men in science nowadays can't financially support a wife at
home! She may be supporting him.  Anyway, those men (or women) who do work
16 hours a day while dumping other responsibilities on their wives (or
husbands) are likely to end up with a divorce, as have some of our faculty.
Then they will have to clean their own toilets.  Maybe I'm too optimistic?
Anyway, that's my two cents. This is the first time I've posted to this
group!

Beth Drees