large vs. small school

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Tue Nov 29 17:35:58 EST 1994

> I just wanted to add my $.02 to this discussion, though since I'm a first
> year grad student, I'm not sure how much good it will do.
> If you are quite serious about research (and it seems that you are) then the
> absolute best place to go is a relatively small research university with
> an emphasis on undergraduate education.

Everyone it seems likes what they did!  Here's a plug for the
 large research univeristy.  I did my first degree at Berkeley
and although I may have felt anonymous at the beginning
I think I learned a lot from being a small fish in a big, real-world
pond.  And, I found a lab and got lots of experience, despite being
small fry.  So much is happening at a big university in so many
fields  that it is an intellectually exciting
place to spend time, although
certainly not for everyone, and not for the person who might
require a little more personal attention or nurturing.  Really,
the decision depends a lot upon what YOU want/need/expect from
a college education.

susan

Susan L Forsburg PhD
MBVL, The Salk Institute