The Careers issue of Science....

Emily Lawson elawson at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 6 21:55:42 EST 1994

Did anyone else read this (I presume someone must have).  Was it as
depressing for you as it was for me?   And is anyone else's blood boiling
about the postdoc article?  Every person interviewed was male and (mostly)
they had extraordinary publications - why even bother to compete?  In
addition, the article about mobile professors only once mentioned that the
people involved may have partners (in all cases in this article - wives)
who may not be so happy to up and move from Boston to Kansas because the
husband needs to prove how wonderful and sought after he is.  From a
journal which publishes the excellent Women In Science issue I would have
expected more balance.

Enough flaming, I'll leave you with those thoughts....

Emily
elawson at mail.sas.upenn.edu