careers issue of science

Barbara Lewis barb at
Tue Oct 18 12:25:34 EST 1994

In article <9410141112.AA29484 at>, arosen at HELIX.NIH.GOV (Anne
Rosenwald) wrote:
  Can't teach--have no teaching experience; can't
> work for industry--no industrial experience; can't do academic research--
> no grant writing experience (except for postdoc fellowships).

	  I'm very sympathetic to your situation and have had several problems
myself with coordinating career plans/moves with my husband. But, I wonder
about your comments about needing experience. How does anyone get grant
writing experience? They just start and get a lot of help, critiques, etc.
from their collegues and
(hopefully) mentors. That's what I did - it took two tries, but I did get
funded the second time. Make sure you have some arrangement to let you be
the P.I. or a very clear understanding with a colleague to co-P.I. with
you. (This is for someone without a faculty appointment.)
	  As for teaching, you can always get some experience as a lecturer on the
side if you think it's really important for the jobs you want, not just an
   If I misunderstood your comments about experience - sorry! (I haven't
read that Science issue yet).

Good luck and hang in there!

Barb Lewis
e-mail: barb at - My own opinions, of course