Careers in science

Karin E. Rengefors Karin.Rengefors at limno.uu.se
Wed Oct 19 08:34:22 EST 1994

In article <1994Oct18.193111.26780 at oxvaxd>, kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk wrote:

> Just a note from the Continent - or, rather from a UK interpretation of
> experiences related by my Dutch friends about being in a PhD programme:
>
> In the Netherlands, you write papers and you publish them, and at the end of
> the day you write the linking material together to turn them into a thesis.
> That way someone with a doctorate has or should have a minimum of four papers
> in journals of which one is usually a lead journal of some kind; six is
still a
> more reasonable number. You get serious research experience this way; you get
> your work and your supervisor's supervising monitored by nominally-impartial
> referees (especially if your supervisor's name isn't on the paper) and you get
> feedback as you go along.
>
> There are + and (-) sides to this process, intellectually, but it seems to be
> one way around the problem of publishing as a doctoral candidate...
>
> kkaye at vax.ox.ac.uk

Well, here is another note from the European Contintent, that is Sweden.
We also have a system similar to the Dutch one. Ph. D. students have to
write papers as they go along. At least 4 or 5 papers need to be written
before we can graduate. Of these 2-3 must be published and the rest
submitted.Quite a few of us don't get very much advicing from our
advisors, so we have to do most of the thinking, experimental set-up, and
analysis ourselves.  This can often be very frustrating, and the work
usually takes a long time. I think the average time for graduate studies
is 5-6 years (within biology).

One good thing about the deapartment I'm in, is that most female Ph.D.
students  have children during their graduate studies. This is fully
accepted, and these women get one year's paid leave. Also most of the male
students have babies, they also take some parental leave - but usually
only for a few months.

Karin Rengefors (Ph D student in Limnology)