women in science

Janet Bryant jl_bryant at pnl.gov
Wed Oct 19 17:49:36 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep27.221559.5512 at rivers>, tb02 at rivers.acc.uwrf.edu says:

>I am doing a study on the low participation of women in science
>(particularly in chemistry and physics).  I would like to get input from
>anyone with anpinion or experiance related to this tipopic.  Points
>to consider would be: discrimination in the classroom, exclusion of
>women in classroom discussion, verbal discouragement from teachers or
>peers, "uncool" stereotypes of science people, and anything else yuoou
>can think of.  If you have access to any good data or resources on this
>topic, please mention that too.
>-
>thomas.l.buchanan at uwrf.edu.

======================
Some of the best resources I am aware of on this subject:

The Association for Women In Science (AWIS).  (1993).  "A Hand Up:
Women Mentoring Women in Science".  Washington, D.C
ISBN #0-9634590-2-3
=Has a forward by Bernadine Healy (Director of the the National
Institutes of Health) that is (in and of itself) full of a wealth of
references to informational studies on this subject.

The American Association of University Women. (1992). "How Schools
Shortchange Girls." Washington, D.C.

Girgus, Joan S., and Catherine A. Sanderson. (Sept 1988) "Women and
Science: An alliance gone awry". (Discussion paper prepared for the Science
Advisory Committee, Pew Science Program in Undergraduate Education).
Philadelphia: Pew Charitable Trusts.

National Science Foundation. (1992). "Women and minorities in science
and engineering: An Update". Washington, D.C.

Seymour, Elaine, and Hewitt, Nancy. (1992). "Factors contributing to high
attrition rates among science and engineering undergraduate majors".
(Report prepared for the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation). New York: Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation.

That should get you started.  As a senior research scientist at Pacific
Northwest Laboratory in Richland, WA, I am intrigued by this whole subject.
I'm the product of parochial schools in Chicago, IL (read that to mean: taught
by nuns for 13 years....:-)
and yet was encouraged to be good at what I am good at....math and science.

I am also very stubborn.  Which according to the above studies seems to
be correlated at least to longevity in the field, if not, success.

regards.

Janet Bryant
jl_bryant at pnl.gov
"opinions are mine.  all mine.  no one else dares to claim them, especially my
employer...."