gender and ease of getting job

Susan Koester Koester at sc2.salk.edu
Tue Sep 6 18:23:54 EST 1994

In article <Marivonne-020994154453 at 128.194.124.20> Marivonne Rodriguez,
Marivonne at bio.tamu.edu writes:
> So I'm curious: How do y'all deal with the infamous comment that we
"have
> it easier" when it comes to getting a job because we're women? You know,
> the "oh, you'll get hired and I won't because you're a woman"...

Frankly, I'm not convinced it's true, but if being female makes it easier
for me to get a job during this particular era, I'll take advantage of
it.  Jobs appear to me ( a not so new post-doc) to be incredibly
difficult to get and any advantage is a foot in the door and not to be
wasted.  That's also partly why I switched from doing neuroanatomy as a
grad student to mol. bio. as a post-doc, to gain another potential
advantage in the job game.  No, I don't think it's an ideal situation,
but I also don't think we live in an ideal world.
	In a similar vein, when applying to grad school I was offered an
opportunity to apply for an in-house fellowship for women grad. students,
ostensibly designed to encourage women to pursue advanced degrees.  As an
idealistic undergrad I initially turned down the opportunity, seeing as
how I didn't think I needed any encouragement to pursue a PhD.  My dept.
convinced me that money was money and that it was coming to them as well
as me (along with the prestige
of having one of these university-wide fellowships come to the dept.).  I
got the fellowship, it paid quite well, and I found that at times, the
encouragement was quite welcome. :-)
	Bottom line: is it better to be hired because you're a woman or because
you're a molecular biologist (or whatever field happens to be trendy) or
because your spouse got you the job?  To be hired is only to be granted
an opportunity to prove yourself.  I'll take what I can get.