grad student connections

Beth Shuster eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU
Mon Apr 3 13:54:29 EST 1995

On 4/2, Julie Keith <Julia.A.Keith at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
snip
<our program here has a minimum of 5 years (even if you
>come in with a masters already) and I know of programs (Harvard comes to mind)
>where the average grad student stay is 8-10 years.  How come the US demands so
>much more time?
snip

  My understanding is that students in the UK are forced to specialize MUCH
earlier than in the US & have taken what we would consider to be graduate
level courses before starting the PhD program.  Thus, they take few, if any
formal courses once they do enter a program & can devote full time to
research.
  Clarification would be appreciated from those of you who've actually gone
through the UK sustem.

Beth

Beth Shuster
Univ. of California, Davis