grad student connections

Mandy Johnstone udbl119 at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 5 10:21:58 EST 1995

In article <199504031854.LAA11872 at peseta.ucdavis.edu> eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU (Beth Shuster) writes:
>Subject: Re: grad student connections
>From: eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU (Beth Shuster)
>Date: 3 Apr 1995 11:54:29 -0700

>On 4/2, Julie Keith <Julia.A.Keith at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>snip
><our program here has a minimum of 5 years (even if you
>>come in with a masters already) and I know of programs (Harvard comes to mind)
>>where the average grad student stay is 8-10 years.  How come the US demands so
>>much more time?
>snip

>  My understanding is that students in the UK are forced to specialize MUCH
>earlier than in the US & have taken what we would consider to be graduate
>level courses before starting the PhD program.  Thus, they take few, if any
>formal courses once they do enter a program & can devote full time to
>research.
>  Clarification would be appreciated from those of you who've actually gone
>through the UK sustem.

>Beth

>Beth Shuster
>Univ. of California, Davis
>eoshuster at ucdavis.edu

Hi Beth,

This was what I thought I posted yesterday. I am just finishing off my Ph.D in
London and I have been in the lab for three solid years-no lecture programs.
All those finished when I finished my degree which as you say was fairly
intense in the final year doing 8 very specific units of study. I cannot
say how this  compares to a US undergrad degree since I
haven't gone through your system.
Mandy.