What would YOU do?

RGyure rgyure at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 18:53:48 EST 1995

Jennifer--

I am 40 years old-- PhD in Microbiology (Microbial Ecology) and 7 years
undergraduate teaching. I have recently been reviewing my choices in life
and decided I have no regrets. I fell into teaching by accident-- found
that I love it. It gives me the opportunity to wake up every day and have
reason and incentive to do what I love best-- read, write, and talk about
science!

My field, microbial ecology, is not lucrative. But I chose it because
those little critters FASCINATE me. Again, no regrets. As long as I live
I'll read and dabble in this area, whether I find work or not. My advice--
DO WHAT YOU LOVE-- if you have that luxury. In many science fields certain
skills are valuable-- and I got experience thru working in labs several
years before and after grad school-- molecular genetics, quantitative and
computer skills-- can't go wrong here-- get a good knowledge base and
working familiarity (chemistry, biochemistry too). Other than that--
choose the topic that fascinates and turns you on!! That's the only reason
for a science career, as far as I'm concerned....

Ruth Gyure, Edgewood College, Madison WI