Women in History - Biology

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Mon Apr 10 14:30:55 EST 1995

In article <3krvoq$mqo at monk.austin.cc.tx.us>,
cddunn at monk.austin.cc.tx.us (charles dunn) writes:
> > > This is women in history month at our school and I need material on women
> > > who have done significant research in the biological sciences.  All the female
> > > researhers I know of are still alive and hence not yet history.

How about Barbara McClintock-  a pioneer in genetics.  Or Mary Shorey-
who published a paper in 1909. "The effect of the destruction of
peripheral areas on the differentiation of the neuroblasts" J. Exp.
Zool 7: 25-64 that was repeated by V. Hamburger in 1934---- Hamburger
is the one who got famous for the work; although he is careful to cite
Shorey in his 1934 paper.

Also there is Hilda Mangold (remember reading about Spemann and Mangold
in embryology?) who is cited extensively for her work on primary
induction (of the nervous system).

Rae Nishi, PhD
Assoc. Prof.
Dept. Cell Biology & Anatomy