Postdoc pay

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at cog.nimh.nih.gov
Fri Apr 28 07:23:01 EST 1995

michelle peterson (michelle_peterson at cellbio.duke.edu) wrote:
: In article <950426204604_97580593 at aol.com>, BrandonVt at aol.com wrote:

: > Hi,
: >
: > Northeastern US.  In the department I left at Cornell University, an incoming
: > postdoc could earn $26,000/year  with complete health insurance coverage.
: >  Postdocs with the US Dept. of Agriculture start at about $33,000.  My boss
: > assured me that the $20,000 I was offered was a competitve salary but being
: > new to the field I have no contacts and no way to verify this.  We are fairly
: > isolated in our lab and I have not met other postdocs to compare notes with.

: It is not necessarily reasonable, but it is the norm.  NIH postdoc
: salaries are that low, epecially first year; they increase upon
: experience.  Private foundations are usually better -- the second year of
: an MDA fellowship a couple of years ago was 28.000 -- but I've seen
: nothing like the US Dep't. of Agriculture levels in academia.  Many grants
: have institutional allowances that can be used for journals or health
: insurance.  MD/PhDs command higher salaries; industry postdocs also pay
: better.  Good luck and hang in there.  Michelle

I just wanted to point out that NIH intramural training awards start at
30,000 -- this is for post-docs at the National Institutes of Health,
as opposed to post-docs who are just funded by NIH. I guess at least
some working at NIH get the "institutional" benefit of higher salaries.

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov

Lab of Neuropsychology
NIMH
Building 49, Room 1b80