which way to go?

Joy Frestedt frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Mon Aug 7 11:38:51 EST 1995

Rosetty;
Please be forewarned that PhD programs generally are hostile places for
women, especially women with children.  I don't know what your master's
program was like and cannot predict specifically what will happen to you
in any individual PhD program, but the words of women around the world are
convincing: women leave science because of the unfriendly, male structured
system of rewards and discouragement.  I wish you well, but with "three
young children"  I would NOT encourage you to enter this rat race.  If you
do, I would DEFINITELY encourage you to enter something you truely enjoy
because the harsh realities of the system are discouraging enough - you
must be happy and healthy for your family!  The employment situation is
drastically changing and none of us can predict where it will be after the
5-7 years of your full-time PhD program.  You should also consider WORK in
lieu of PHD training, as I'm sure you already have.  Good Luck
Joy

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995 02:07:38 EST,
Rosetty  <Rosetty at Microserve.com> wrote:
>Hi...I need some advice regarding which direction to take in terms of a PhD in
>an area of Biology.  Where does my interest lie???? Most definitely in that are
>of microbiology and immunology.  However, I have been forewarned by my mentors
>in my Masters program that this is not the most "employable" of areas.  Are
>they right?  My goal is to TEACH on a fulltime, college level....I teach
>parttime now...and LOVE IT.  ON the other hand I am soon to be divorced and the
>mother of three young kids.  I would appreciate any comments or advice.  Where
>best should I concentrate my PhD....in the direction I LIKE or in the directin
>that will get me employment?  Thanks...Susan

Joy L Frestedt, PhD candidate
Pathobiology program, Lab Med and Path
University of Minnesota Medical School
Box 86 UMHC