AWIS?

Jean C. Lee jclee at warren.med.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 31 15:08:33 EST 1995

In article <1995Aug28.181126.14445 at alw.nih.gov>, mary karczewski
<mk32e at nih.gov> wrote:

> Hello, I am a graduate student in Genetics at the George Washington
> University in Washington DC.  Can anyone point me to the local (or
> national) chapter of the Association of Women in Science?  It has been
> recommended to me as a valuable resource for the female grad student/
> future scientist.  I would appreciate any help!
> thanks for your time,
> marykk

Graduate Women in Science is a 73 year old organization dedicated to the
support of women in science.  It has fellowships for women starting their
careers, publish a quarterly Bulletin, have local chapters, a yearly
National
Meeting, and more.  It is completely a volunteer organization, and the
skills
you learn here help you survive in ways that they didn't teach you in
graduate
school.  To find out more about Graduate Women in Science, send a
message to our secretary, Doris Brown, at dcbrown at crash.cts.com  .

There is also a listserve for graduate women in science.  It is great.
 To contribute to the discussion, send a message to gwis at ucsd.edu, and
include
"All" in your subject heading.  To join the discussion group for the
first time, or change/delete your address, contact sheri_cole at som-
bsb.ucsd.edu  .  Remember, every message you send to gwis at ucsd.edu goes to
everyone on the listserve (over 200 members).  Allow up to one week for
changes
to take effect.  Do not use this as a bulletin board to post announcements,
as
this is for discussion only.  To suggest a new topic, send a message to me
at
sheri_cole at som-bsb.ucsd.edu   .  We discuss a new topic each week.

Hope this is helpful.

Jean Lee