women and men in science etc

Rachelle J. Bienstock rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov
Mon Dec 4 09:40:18 EST 1995

I think Jen Coleman misunderstood my post...what i was saying is not
that you have to ask your husband to watch his own child, but that when there
is another person involved be it man or woman you have to discuss your
plans with that person out of consideration- if I'm coming home late,
going out of town, or not going to be home for dinner it is only consideration
to tell the person or people you live with, and you have to coordinate
schedules...When you are single and have no dependents you just do whatever
you want when you want to and there is no need for coordination of schedules..

When I said we are all not born with the same advantages I certainly didn't
mean that the limitation was gender...What I meant was that different people
have different stresses in their lives and not everyone has the same amount
of time to spend as they like- when I was teaching at The University of Texas
I had a student who was taking care of a father who had Alzheimer's disease,
I had another student who had Hogkins disease...naturally these students had
different demands on their time- they probably couldn't spend the same amount
of time on assignments that other students who didn't have these stresses did...
Naturally if a person is single, young and healthy, they have alot less demands
on their time than a person who has elderly parents, children, a spouse,
etc...But that some of these things are choices that people make...obviously
when someone decides to have children they decide that they are committing
time to nurturing those children - so they have decided to allocate their time
differently than people who have decided not to have children....