Would part-time science help?

Pita Enriquez Harris enriquez at sable.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 07:27:56 EST 1995

Beth said;

>   This whole discussion has really struck a chord with me.
>
>   I recently stepped down from a (more-than) full time job as a faculty
> member (after the birth of my daughter rather radically re-arranged my
> priorities) and am now working part-time in a "hybrid" job.

This sounds like a truly realistic solution. As I see it, the truth of
the matter is that even when there's just one partner working as hard as
you need to to be successful in science, that person will suffer enough
from stress and will never be able to do enough.  Double that and throw
in children and you have the makings of a really difficult lifestyle. I
have no doubts that it CAN be done and I even know several couples who do
it. It isn't easy though and one thing it does seem to demand is that you
give up everything else in life except work and ferrying children around.

The problem that I think many people (mostly women with kids, I guess,
but I don't want it to sound too exclusive a problem) are experiencing is
that there is precious little middle ground. You either do science all
out and take the consequences (no kids, or exhaustion/burnout, plus or minus
higher divorce rates) of success or else you do the 'honourable' thing and
Leave Science.

Is there a case to campaign for a middle ground? Time out allowed for
child rearing, job sharing and part-timing are all schemes which are used
by Big Business. Of course it means that women who leave the well-beaten
career path will ultimately suffer a drop in promotion prospects. But
they get to keep their jobs at least, and although they slow down in
their progress, they usually manage to maintain some forward momentum.

I think Beth's position sounds great!

<snip>
> This has meant more time to spend
> with my family
<snip>
> The extra time is certainly
> making it easier to find the patience to deal with 2-yr old behavior ("Do
> it MYSELF mommy", tantrums and "more story please" can eat up LOTS of
> time).
<snip>

Gosh, yes. I would say that 80% of all rows I have with my three-year old
stem from time pressures. Little kids just don't know about hurrying. It
seems terribly hard on them to introduce them to the harsh realities of
life vis-a-vie ALWAYS being in a mad rush from as young as 3 months old.
Some might say that its good for them to learn this lesson as young as
possible but then I doubt if we any of us on this list had such an
experience as kiddies. Can anyone admit to never being able to take it
easy in the mornings, never being able to lie in, laze around with mom,
just make up what to do with the day, in those precious years of freedom
before school?  I wonder; what kind of a generation are we breeding, we
who place our kids in daycare? There are doubtless many advantages, but
one thing is certain: these kids will never know the kind of freedom
which we took for granted.

Back to Beth,

>   I feel very lucky.  I know that positions such as this are very hard to
> find.  Even though my job switch meant taking a pay decrease & a decrease
> in official "status", I'm still doing things I enjoy and I'm working with
> people who respect me, irrespective of my "title".

The whole 'status' problem. As a woman 'at home' you can be made to feel
your status is zip, unless you are clearly on some sort of maternity
leave and you are always talking about going back to work. At least among
the women-at-home you have status if you are being a 'proper mum'. But
part-timers have it worst; they are perceived to be part-timers at both jobs!

Incidentally, in England at least, the latest chic is to be a
stay-at-home mum. It is the latest status symbol amongst the upper
middles and upper classes. You can't open Harpers+Queen or Tatler without
some ex-company director telling you how rewarding her life is since she
jacked in her job and became a fulltime chauffeur to her kids, ferrying
them around all the cool schools and music lessons of London's posh suburbs.
It is called being 'Maternally Correct'.

Do I stick my neck out when I venture to say that I think most scientists
are essentially, hobbyists? We do what we do for the love of it, the fun,
not the money (hah!), security or status. But there's not a lot of room
for scientists who don't at least pretend of running their own lab. Which
is dumb really, because, look at the system: its a pyramid. It is just
NOT possible for all those who are now post-docs to become group leaders,
unless the subject continues to expand forever. So who's going to be
first in line to jump off? Some would say; the bad scientists, those who
just can't cut it. I say; anyone who can think of something
better to do. So, for a women with kids, that could be a more homebased
career, or whatever. When companies offer voluntary redundancies, they
often find to their dismay that its their best people who leave; these
are the ones with the imagination and drive to find another position.

The people who fund science may like to think that by offering an
continually competitive and family-unsupportive environment they will
ensure that the field is always dominated by the thrusting and ambitious
who, naturally, make the best scientists. I don't myself quite see what
how these attributes necessarily help one to be a better scientist. But
that is what is selected for. And the bright, competent scientist who
cares about his/her sanity and his/her family's and cuts down his/her
hours or even leaves for a less exploitative career? Well, clearly, they
were never well suited to science.

There are surely enough of us who want don't want to be ego-maniacs, who
want a normal life, with time for ourselves and our kids, to pressurise the
various interested parties into accepting a change in the way scientist
live. Why SHOULD we have to give up our work? Why SHOULD we allow the
field to be dominated by the kind of people we all know run things? Why
SHOULD we have to become like that if we want to succeed?

(Because that's life? Because that's the way it is? Once they said the
same about slavery.)

Pita

Dr. Pita Enriquez Harris           "Waste no more time arguing what a
Nuffield Department of Medicine           good man should be.  Be one."
Oxford Radcliffe Hospital                                  Marcus Aurelius
http://sable.ox.ac.uk/~enriquez