How to cite e-mail?

F Booth Miskish at
Thu Dec 7 13:51:33 EST 1995

In article <49pphu$e1e at>, pbowne at says...
>One of my students is writing a paper. She got
>information over e-mail from a scientist with
>IBM. She has his permission to quote from the
>message in her paper, but how should she cite
>it? I suggested using "personal communication"
>in the body of the paper, but what about the
>Literature Cited section? I don't remember ever
>giving any citation for personal communications
>in that section.
>Pat Bowne

I would suggest citing it as an interview, namely:

"Bowne, Pat.  Personal interview.  07 Dec. 1995."

I'm sure "personal communication" could be used in place of "personal

See Hodges, John C. and Whitten, Mary E.  "The Research Paper."
           Harbrace College Handbook.  Tenth Edition.  New York:
           Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers, 1986.  433.

There are newer versions of this book, however.

Fran Booth