new to science

dbush dbush at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 8 09:48:12 EST 1995

a (Christopher Stroshein) wrote:

>    Iam 24 years old and trying to better my life.  I just recently
>started taking highschool science classes that I did not take when I was
>in highschool.  I have surprisingly found that I am loving my biology
>course and am doing particularly well in the chapter on genetics.  How
>surprising!  Does anybody know what kind of careers are out there that
>would directly involve working in the field of genetics.  I am not the
>most inteligent person but I do work hard and seem to have a natural
>ability for this gene stuff.  Thanx Sue (on my husbands computer)

Dear Sue
	 There is a lot of genetic research being done at our University (University of Alberta, Canada), and I know of work being done by the USDA and US Fish and Game Associations. Most of this work is done on shrubs and tree genetics to identify the genetic variability of various species. Work is also being done on breeding grass cultivars for farming and reclamation. Genetics and reclamation is a hot topic right now because there is concern that if we import varieties from too far away, or from a different ecosystem, they will not persist. The USDA has reported massive die-offs of plantings they did 30 - 60 years ago with inapropriately selected plant material.
	This type of work is often a combination of field work and lab work, although if you don't have a Masters or PhD you may be restricted to working as a lab technician.
	You don't have to be brilliant to be a good University student. You do have to work hard. After having marked undergrad papers for a semester (I am a graduate student), I can tell you that if you know how to write well you can probably raise your marks by 10% in many courses. Learn how to organize your ideas, learn how to make proper sentences and paragraphs, and proof-read.
	I hope this helps you make your decision.

	Dana