citing things found on the web?

m.lee mikaline at
Sun Dec 17 22:21:38 EST 1995

Ronald Frank (lifesci at wrote:
: I am a student at the University of Missouri at Rolla (biology major)
: working on my department's web page.  I have included many journals and
: other university connections to facilitate research.  I would also like
: to include a short note at the end of that section about citing the
: information found on the web for a paper.  If any one could send me a
: format for this citation, it would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks!

: Amy Jones
		amyjones at or lifesci at

Here's the stuff I pulled off my library groups:

Newsgroups: bit.listserv.autocat
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:23:02 -0600
From: Wei Luo <weiluo at>
Subject: Re: How to cite a page on the World Wide Web

At 04:32 PM 12/6/95 -0700, you wrote:
>     Can anyone tell me what information is included (and how it is
>formatted) when citing a page on the World Wide Web?  My husband asked me
>about this, and I think I may have seen something on this topic on
>AUTOCAT a while back--but I really don't remember for sure!
>     Thanks in advance for your help!
>Jenny Rayson
>University of Texas at El Paso

The following are three Web sites about how to cite sources on the Internet:

Citation Style for Internet Sources by Mark Wainwright

MLA-Style Citations of Electronic Sources, by Janice R. Walker

A Brief Citation Guide for Internet Sources in Histroy and the Humanities is:

Wei Luo
Assistant Technical Services Librarian and Assistant Professor
School of Law Library, Mailcode 6803
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Carbondale, IL 62901
Phone: 618-453-8783
Fax: 618-453-8728
E-mail: weiluo at