Equal pay

Barb Lewis barb at nmrfam.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 1 11:41:31 EST 1995

In article <9501301310.AA08456 at mrcs1>, jma at MRC.COM wrote:

> This is in reference to the recent discussions on women
> negoiating higher salaries for job offers.  One piece of
> advice given was to research the going rates for the
> particular position:  i.e. salary for your qualifications.
> My question is where can you get this type of information
> without asking your friends and colleagues what salary
> they are earning?

What's wrong with asking your friends and colleagues? At least it should be
OK to ask people at least what the range of salaries is for their type of
position where they work - they can give you a general answer without
necessarily disclosing their own specific salary.

You could also do "informational interviewing" *before* you are looking for
a job yourself. I suppose that either Human Resources people or managers in
specific companies/areas might be willing to discuss salary ranges for
their employees.

My husband seems to have a pretty good idea of what most of his colleagues
at other places make - so perhaps (again) men don't feel so constrained
about discussing it?

I am particularly interested in salaries
> for industrial positions.
> Thank you.
>
> Joanne

Barb Lewis