response to Ellen Paul

U15767 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU U15767 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU
Fri Feb 3 18:27:50 EST 1995

Ellen:
Just wanted to let you know that I empathize with you.  I am just going to
graduate with my Ph.D. at 36, with the prospect of post-doc work taking me
into my 40's!  Several times (especially when an experiment crashes ;') )
I ask myself "Why am I here; oh why did I start this?"  Then I remember my
husband.  He is one of those lucky ones - he LOVES his job.  Oh sure, there
are times he could lose all his hair by pulling it out at the roots, but he
looks forward to going in in the morning.  Why shouldn't you and I be happy
too?  It's no crime that we took longer to find something we were happy
doing - we're just late bloomers.  ;,)
Go for it, and don't let anyone get you down.

Good luck!
Janine
U of IL at Chicago