bjford: who he? why?

Ellen I. Paul toodles at wam.umd.edu
Tue Feb 7 07:11:24 EST 1995

In article <3h6dd3$8b7 at bbs.pnl.gov>, Janet Bryant <jl_bryant at pnl.gov> wrote:
>Ellen:
>Absurd?  No.
>Long-term commitment?  yes.
>I stopped at my master's and at 36 want to go back to school.
>but instead, I settled for getting the braces on my teeth that I've waited
>20 years for....(that's a bad joke.  the trade-off; not the braces.  they're no joke)
>
>I am already doing what I love, and loving what I do. (and, yes, it even involves
>a desk a LOT of the time...)
>
>I could not imagine spending so much of my waking hours doing something
>I didn't love.  I'd be a stark-raving lunatic by now...(yeah...yeah...I hear the
>chuckles in the background from those who've read my posts before....:-)
>
>GO FOR IT ELLEN!  Life if too short to have a regret that big!
>
>I'd love to know where you wind up.
>
>regards, and best wishes,
>
>janet
>Janet L. Bryant
>Mail Stop: K7-94    Internet: jl_bryant at pnl.gov
>Engineering Technology Center          Voice: (509) 375-3765
>Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratories  FAX: (509) 375-6417
>P.O. Box 999, Richland, WA 99352 U.S.A.     "mine, all mine!" Disclaimer

Dear Janet and everyone else who unanimously gave me nothing but amazing
encouragement - Many thanks!  I'm going to keep going, and so six years
from now you will find me in the chacos, the llanos, the Andes, in Tierra
del Fuego, in Monteverde and the Peten - because I've promised myself a
year around Central and South America as a reward for finishing.  After
that, if my dreams come true, I suspect I'll be studying birds in Africa
- the one place that seems to have a few spaces left that aren't cheek to
jowl with researchers, at least not in my field.

Ellen