Should I change my surname?

Mona Oommen oommen at brazil.psych.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 7 15:38:37 EST 1995

In article <3h7v7t$iu at newsbf02.news.aol.com> junekk at aol.com (JuneKK) writes:
>It all depends on what you feel comfortable with, since your name defines
>in part, your very identity.  If you have published only 1 paper, keeping

I agree with this 100% --it's what you feel comfortable with.  In my case,
I never considered changing my name, and later when my husband's mother
questioned my decision, I thought that changing any part of my identity
was inconsistent with my relationship with my husband.  Our individual
identities were of course the basis of the marriage, and as someone else
has said, keeping my name was my way of honouring my family.  True, three
years later I can say that identities have changed subtly but it's been
pretty much mutual, and that balance has been important to me.  It may
seem like a little thing, and it was to me, but it influences the way
people react to you which is something I didn't anticipate.  (Both
positive and negative, depending on the person... it's all very telling!)

Mona Oommen