Should I change my surname?

Janet Bryant jl_bryant at pnl.gov
Tue Feb 7 11:34:32 EST 1995

In article <3h6u42$ves at quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca>,
dmerriam at gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Deborah Merriam) says:

snip
>As I see it, my options are:
>1 - keep my current surname for all purposes
>2 - change my surname to coincide with my beloved's (and keep my maiden
>name as a new middle name, if I choose)
>3 - keep my name for business purposes, and use his for personal purposes
>4 - hyphenate (an excellent idea except that our surnames sound hideous
>together ;-)
snip
>Thanks in advance for your advice. This is a wonderful newsgroup!
>
>Deborah Merriam
>dmerriam at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
==============================
Deborah:

As I get ready to celebrate my 13th wedding anniversary, thanks
for the reminder of a time when I agonized over the same decision
you are about to make....

tee hee...I actually sat down and wrote my name every which way...
typed it
caligraphy-ed it
computer printed it in every font I had then available
practiced my signature in all of the ways you described:  hyphenated;
joined; keeping middle name; going for the initials...et.al.

Since my maiden name was always being mispronounced and mispelled,
my decision was pretty easy when I married Dave.  I went from
Janet Lynn Pindak to Janet Lynn Bryant, and my signature
now has a nice flourish to it.  I'd keep the name, with or without him....
(shhh; don't TELL him... :-)

I ALMOST married a gentleman named, Egebrecht.  I had all intents and
purposes of staying Pindak because I just couldn't see it!  With no
ill-intent to all those with hard-to-spell; hard-to-pronounce names....
They're just NOT "me".

So I guess my nickel boils down to this:  decide what combination is "YOU"
and then go for it.  All the so-called hurdles will be manageable once you
are comfortable.

best wishes for much success and happiness.

(now about those children....;-)

janet
Janet L. Bryant
Mail Stop: K7-94    Internet: jl_bryant at pnl.gov
Engineering Technology Center          Voice: (509) 375-3765
Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratories  FAX: (509) 375-6417
P.O. Box 999, Richland, WA 99352 U.S.A.
 "mine, all mine! No one else would WANT them" Disclaimer