Should I change my surname?

A. Murray AMURRAY at mus-nature.ca
Wed Feb 8 08:06:05 EST 1995

dmerriam at gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Deborah Merriam) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am getting married this coming summer, and I'm trying to decide whether
> to keep by birth name as-is or take my beloved's surname.  I am currently
> working toward my M.Sc. (and hopefully my Ph.D.) in Experimental Medicine,
> and I'm extremely fortunate to have a publication to my credit already
 straightforward: will changing my surname, now that I have published under
> my "maiden" name, affect the way that my publication record is viewed down
> the road? Are there other ways in which a change of surname can affect my
> career?

The answer to this would seem to completely depend on each person's
personal feelings, but it is also one I had thought about myself.
There is a woman in my field who originally published under her (maiden)
name, then got married (to someone in the same field) and published
under her married/husbands name and then got divorced and went back
to publishing under her maiden name again.  From the citation point
of view, luckily the two names are close to each other and her papers
usually wind up close to each other in the lit. cited, but it makes
references to her work a little awkward (switching between names).