selection committee

wendyw at staff.monash.edu.au wendyw at staff.monash.edu.au
Wed Feb 8 00:09:32 EST 1995

Dear all

I just had an interesting experience.
I was asked to take part in a "selection committee" - ie a meeting to decide
who is selected for a job here in our department.
The nature of the job up for grabs is a "higher duties" type  job.  Two of the
technicians currently employed here expressed an interest in taking on
"higher" (managerial) duties in return for a higher duties allowance added to
their pay packet.
OK - so, I was asked to sit on this committee because they needed a female.

Of course, I put my bit into the decision-making process (it was actually very
difficult, both applicants are very good) but I think that my presence at the
meeting was merely to satisfy whoever it is that needs to be satisfied that
there was an appropriate gender balance in the committee members (there were
just two others (males) and me).

I don't think I'm offended; but I do feel rather strange about this.  I can
see _why_ (and I think its good) that selection committees have females on
them; but to be asked to take part in one "because we need a female" was very
odd.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

Wendy
Nb. the e-mail address that is automatically attached to my postings is wrong
and I don't know how to change it.  My "real" e-mail address is:
wendyw at gas.cc.monash.edu.au