Should I change my surname?

Thu Feb 9 08:10:14 EST 1995

I just wanted to put my two cents in about this.  Since
most (if not all) posters seem to be in favor of keeping
their maiden names after marriage, I wanted to present
the other side.  I got married almost five years while
still in grad school, had some publications, but changed
my name after the wedding.  I thought about hypenating,
but Mattessich-Arrandale was much too long!  Not taking
my husband's name never occurred to made the
marriage more of a reality by having a new last name.

Well, this is just my experience and it certainly looks
as if I'm in the minority.  Ultimately its each woman's
own decision.  Whatever you're comfortable with will be
the right decision.

Joanne M. (for my middle name) Arrandale
jma at