surname

Denni Schnapp ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 06:17:51 EST 1995

Dear Deborah, should we change surnames when getting married? I was faced
with the same problem when getting married as an undergraduate. I decided
against it because I like my family name. I asked my future husband why
there should be any reason that the *woman* is automatically expected to
change hers rather than the *man*. He totally agrees. However, he also
likes his family name so we kept our respective surnames. The problem
will surface again if kids come along. My suggestion was, if the first
one is a boy we'll take his, if it is a girl, we take mine but we are
still discussing it. I think you should change your surname only if
you like your future husband's or if you worry about confusion it could
cause for your kids (if any) in future. Hyphenated names are a nightmare
for people to address you with. Also, is it really true that the woman
usually takes a hyphenated name and the man just keps his?
By the way, my supervisor knew about a female scientists with a lot of
publications who changed her surname after getting maried and lost a lot
of credits because of it! People just can't make the connection to her
past work if she appears on reference lists in papers...

Greetings,

Denni 9ds4 at st-and.ac.uk