Should I change my surname?

Kumiko Takeda kumiko at niai.affrc.go.jp
Wed Feb 8 23:00:33 EST 1995

>|> As I see it, my options are:
>|> 1 - keep my current surname for all purposes
>|> 2 - change my surname to coincide with my beloved's (and keep my maiden
>|> name as a new middle name, if I choose)
>|> 3 - keep my name for business purposes, and use his for personal purposes
>|> 4 - hyphenate (an excellent idea except that our surnames sound hideous
>|> together ;-)
>|> 5 - have *him* take *my* surname (but he has some publications, too)
>|> 6 - make up our own surname (cute idea, but completely impractical)

I don't get married yet, but I think "3" is the best way. It's not good for
family to have two family name. But for business, if your environment admit
it, you use your surname as like actresses have their own stage name.
You are lucky, because you can have selection.  Your partner must be
sympathetic. Most of Japanese men aren't.Also in Japan, a lot of women are
racking their brains about it, and most of women I know changed their
surname. Some of them use their both name for work. The Japanese law for
the register is strictry, govenment controls all of the nation's register
paper. Either she or he (in most caces she) must have her or his name
entered in the family register. (For example, illegitimate children cannnot
write their name on the register papers. )Fortunately, I heard that
Japanese will become to be able to keep their own surname after marrige.

I'm a Japanese, so please forgive my poor English !
Kumiko Takeda
Dept. of Animal Breeding & Genetics
National Institute of Animal Industry
Ikenodai-2,Kukizaki,Inashiki,IBARAKI,305,Japan
TEL:81-298-38-8624 FAX:81-298-38-8606