selection committee

Beth Shuster eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Feb 9 12:54:09 EST 1995

This message apparently didn't get through either!

On 2/8, Wendy (wendyw at gas.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:

>I just had an interesting experience.
>I was asked to take part in a "selection committee"
(snip)
>I don't think I'm offended; but I do feel rather strange about this.  I can
>see _why_ (and I think its good) that selection committees have females on
>them; but to be asked to take part in one "because we need a female" was very
>odd.

  It's too bad that some (not all) people only include women (or others
different than themselves) because they are told they should.  The good
thing is that: a) you may make valuable contributions to the decisions of
that particular committee, which may lead to b) being chosen because you're
"you" the next time.  The major problem then becomes learning how to
prioritize requests and rejecting those further down on the list - I was
once advised to practice saying "NO" in a mirror!

Beth

Beth Shuster
Univ. of California
Davis, CA  95616-8598