the work shoe

Lisa Vaillancourt lvaillan at MOOSE.UVM.EDU
Fri Feb 10 18:57:17 EST 1995

Am I the only one that noticed the post by "Edmond Dantes" that said if we
women would do our jobs properly instead of discussing and worrying about
trivial matters like shoes and clothes we would not be discriminated
against??  I have to respond to that by saying that the majority of
"trivial" conversation around my workplace seems to be sports statistics,
which many of the men seem to have spent huge amounts of time and energy
memorizing.  Footwear, believe it or not, Edmond who probably has never
worn a high heel (I say probably, I never assume anything) is very
important to comfort on the job, and being comfortable can do wonders for
your outlook and for your ability to perform your duties well.  If a
footwear manufacturer wants our input, why not comply??  I have to admit,
though, that I have been wishing that the people who post to the bulletin
board with the details of their footwear and other garments would send
their comments directly to the shoe manufacturer.  That is not meant to
trivialize the importance of the issue.  It's just not terribly interesting
to me personally what everyone else wears to work.  No big deal, though, I
just skip through those letters, and I suppose others probably find them
interesting.

Lisa Vaillancourt (the opinions given here are my own, not necessarily
those of anyone else, although they might be)