selection committee

Chris Boake boake at utkvx.utk.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:05:00 EST 1995

In article <wendyw.14.2F38520C at staff.monash.edu.au>, wendyw at staff.monash.edu.au writes...
, I was asked to sit on this committee because they needed a female.

 I think that my presence at the
>meeting was merely to satisfy whoever it is that needs to be satisfied that
>there was an appropriate gender balance in the committee members (there were
>just two others (males) and me).

   Being invited to be on a committee because you are a woman is something
that is pretty common.  I agree with Beth Shuster's attitude that it is
a positive thing.  At least the powers-that-be have recognized that
women should be involved in decision-making.  At some distant point in the
future, women might be represented in all jobs in proportion to their
representation in the population at large.  At that time, we'd expect to
be 52% of the committee members, too, and being chosen "because you are
a woman" would clearly indicate a problem.  Until then, see it as service
and don't look too deeply into the motivations.
   If you do a good job on one committee, the next invitation may be
because of your track record, rather than because of your gender.
Go for it!
--Chris