The Work Shoe..

uvsbgsm at Msu.oscs.montana.edu uvsbgsm at Msu.oscs.montana.edu
Sat Feb 11 14:40:17 EST 1995

Once upon a time I sold cardiovascular surgical equipment for a living, before
coming back to school to live in jeans and comfortable shoes.  While in this
job "dressing" was important, and I was always on the search for things that
packed better and fit comfortably.  One pair of shoes I found that I *loved*
were a pair of black Evan Picone pumps.  They had probably a 3/4" heel- enough
that they weren't flats, but not too high either.  I think they had the heel
set further under the foot than most or something.  Anyway, I could walk or
stand in them most of the day without my feet hurting, which I never repeated
with a variety of other shoes, including some flats.  If I could have found the
same pumps again I would have bought several pairs.  So, some pumps are more
comfortable than others, and these weren't so much padded as supportive.  So,
if you really need some pumps, it may pay off to be diligent in your shopping-
and sometimes paying more means you get more from a shoe.

I also like various types of comfy, low heeled boots for "dressing up".  Not
terribly dressy, but in science that's not necessarily all that bad.  Boots are
good for travel too.  You can wear a good pair of socks over your hose or
tights and nobody will know or care.  They work in bad weather as well as good
also.

Susan