Sexism

rapienmk at hiram.edu rapienmk at hiram.edu
Sun Feb 12 19:50:19 EST 1995

   I don't read this newsgroup as regularly as I ought to, so unfortunately I
miss a lot of original posts and only catch replies.  This, unfortunately,
means that I don't always get the whole story.  but I do have a couple of
questions for Terry Parks.  First of all, I had assumed that you were a man (I
know, one should never assume anything, but we are all human and human beings
do make mistakes).  The reason I ask is because you seem to be saying that
there is no need for a women-in-bio group and that the group is inherently
sexist.  But I wonder, if you are a man, how could you give women advice on
whether or not to keep their surname or when is the best time to have
children?  I'm not saying that the opinions of men on such issues aren't
valuable, but I certainly like to hear from women who know from personal
experience.  And, you know, sometimes it's really wonderful to talk to a woman
who knows where I'm coming from.  I don't think that there is any denying the
fact that men and women often have different perspectives on issues.  Both
perspectives are valuable.  Why does it make us sexist to seek out the
opinions of people of a particular gender?  Am I being sexist when I choose
to seek the opinion of a male friend on an issue?  Doesn't it make sense that
we ask women how they feel about being women rather than asking men what it's
like to be a woman?  Incidentally, i noticed in one of your posts that you
said the best scientists are generally men.  Isn't that a rather sexist
remark?  Just wondering.