equal pay

Sheryl White slw at med.uvm.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:47:37 EST 1995

Terry Parks (Terry.Parks at launchpad.unc.edu) wrote:
:
: If you know of any such situation, please present it. If not, then
: stop making things up.

Salaries at public universities (such as this one) are matters of public
record.  Anyone who wishes to may go to the campus library and find out
the salary of any member of the staff or faculty.  One can then access
the NIH records to determine who is receiving funds (at least for NIH
grants) for their projects.  It is also very easy these days to access
the C.V.s of faculty of interest, as most departments have set up files
for the perusal of prospective graduate students, to determine what other
active funding they have, experience, service, etc... in order to better
understand their salary levels.  Just out of curiosity I have done so and
have seen a marked discrepancy between the pay for male versus female
faculty.  Just because I note a difference in salary amounts which is
puzzling and unaccounted for hardly makes me a sexist.  Would it be
simpler for you if I just pretended they were paid equally?
  Although all of this is publicly available, I would not feel right
about distributing names and salaries as I believe this would be a
tasteless invasion of privacy.  If you are truly interested, why don't
YOU do some footwork, figure out how to use gopher and see for yourself
instead of spending your time spouting inanities.  This isn't made up and
if you know how to use a keyboard you can easily find the information you
are seeking.  If you are too lazy to do this, I suggest you should be the
one to shut up.

:
: Here's your chance to put up or shut up (not that you'll do either, bigot
: that you are).

You don't know the first thing about me, and just because I answered the
post of one of your fellow bigots (by the way, Terry, you are what you
fear the most) does not make me one.  For someone who claims to hate
bigotry, I would say you are one of the finest examples of a
non-thinking, shoot-from-your-hip, male bigot that I have ever seen.
Your inability to understand the posts or make any kind of logical
argument is pathetic.  If you are our only hope in ridding the world of
sexism, we are in ALOT of trouble, folks.  I feel no need to "put up" (or
shut up, for that matter) to this pathetic example of human evolution.
The information is public domain, turkey, figure out how to access it
yourself.  If that is beyond you, then stick to your pathetic attempts to
insult people, that is about all you will ever be able to do.  KNOWLEDGE
is power.
  By the way, Terry... *PLONK* (figure it out, or do you need help with
                               this too?)

Sheryl