NEEDED: info on hormone replacement therapy

Mona Oommen oommen at brazil.psych.purdue.edu
Wed Feb 15 11:59:50 EST 1995

Does anyone out there do research on HRT, have a clinical practice that
deals with HRT, or otherwise have information about hormone replacement
therapy?  I would really appreciate hearing from you.  My mother, who is
a doctor and lives in the Middle East, has osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
(she's 57) and was told by her gynecologist that it was a withdrawal symptom
from estrogen.  She wants to put her on HRT, and my mother is currently
undergoing pre-HRT tests (mammogram, ultrasound, pap smear,etc.).  Does
anyone know if this is the only route to be taken?  My grandmother has
osteoporosis as well --if this is genetic, will HRT make a difference?
Are there any controversies surrounding HRT that one should know of?
Having lived in the Middle East 2 years ago, I know how hard it is to come
by current information, esp. current debates.
What kind of dosages are involved?  (I'm asking this because I remember that
the birth control pill started out with very high dosages, and these had to
be reduced --I also remember that all those left-over high dosage pills
were sent off to India (where I'm from) and other places!)
Anyways, I'd really appreciate hearing from you about this.  Is there a
mailing list that deals with this, by any chance?

Thanks,
Mona Oommen
oommen at psych.purdue.edu  --or post to this newsgroup.  I'm a regular reader.