The Work Shoe

dcook at cau.auc.edu dcook at CAU.AUC.EDU
Thu Feb 16 16:02:24 EST 1995

     I've been searching for the perfect shoe for years now and have not
found it.  Like other posters, my biggest complaint is about the lack of
arch support in most shoes.  The four pairs of shoes that have decent arch
support that I own are:  Birkenstocks, hiking boots, Bastaad (sp?) clogs,
and ballroom dance shoes (with 2 1/2" heels).  The ballroom dance shoes
have a steel shank in the arch for stability and support on the dance
floor.  Various types of athletic shoes I've had fall into the runner up
category, because of better cushioning IMHO.  Good shoes also need to have
combination lasts for better fit.

     Also many shoes can't be repaired.  I had some flat, nice casual Easy
Spirits, but they wore out in less than a year and in that style, the
heels/soles can't be replaced.  If women have to spend the money they do on
Work Shoes, then they should be repairable.  Just some thoughts for the
shoe designer.
Deb