Should I change my surname?

Victoria L Nations natio002 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Wed Feb 15 23:16:44 EST 1995

I've just wandered into this group.  Imagine my pleasure to
see this discussion going on, as I'm dealing with it myself.

My fiance and I will each have a few pubs by the time we're married
next year.  I've debated changing my name, but am coming up with all of
the classic reasons not to: I like my name, I like my identity, I'll have
pubs, people know me professionally by my name, it's expensive and a
hassle to legally change it, etc.  I've pretty much decided to go the
route that my fiance's aunt has gone.  She uses her maiden name
professionally, but goes by her husband's name in all personal matters.
I believe that she has legally kept her maiden name, but it takes the
pressure off of the family & such.

However, I am concerned about what name to give our child (we only plan to
have one)?  The simplest would be to give him/her my husband's name.  But
what about giving my name to the child?  I already have 4 names (my mother's
and my father's names)...do I give my child four, also?  Or five?  Someone is
gonna get dropped.  I can't really adapt my maiden name into a first name
for the child -- it just wouldn't work.

Thanks for the input into this problem.
Victoria Nations