osteoporosis etc

Beth Shuster eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Feb 16 18:10:15 EST 1995

On Feb 16, Kristine wrote:
>As far as I know, ostoeporosis can be prevented by consuming vast amounts of
>milk in puberty. Obviously, this is no help for somebody who suffers from
>ostoeporosis already, but it seems to me that many young women do not know
>what risk they are exposing themselves to by not drinking milk or only
>skimmed milk for dietary reasons. As much as I am aware of, the problem with
>skimmed milk is that it *does* contain calcium, but not the fatsoluble
>vitamin (cannot remember whether it is A or D) that is required for an
>efficient absorption of the calcium. It seems there is a good reason that fat
>is present in milk in the first place.

  Another important time for women to carefully monitor calcium intake is
during pregnancy and subsequent lactation.  Your child will obtain the
calcium s/he needs one way or another, and it's far more beneficial for you
to increase your intake than to have your reserves depleted (there's an old
wive's tale that claims that a woman could once expect to lose a
tooth/pregnancy...).

  I must admit that I consumed vast quantities of non-fat milk, once I got used
to drinking the stuff.  Hopefully it (and all of the cheese and broccoli
that I ate) did some good.

Beth

Beth Shuster
Univ. of California, Davis