osteoporosis etc

Dianne Marsh dianne at cbi.com
Thu Feb 16 13:46:44 EST 1995

In article <3hvot4$6qt at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> <k.vaaler at ic.ac.uk> writes:
>As far as I know, ostoeporosis can be prevented by consuming vast amounts of
>milk in puberty.

  [much stuff about milk deleted]

I was concerned about my calcium intake as a teenager and discussed this with
my doctor.  He told me that milk is not necessary as a calcium source and
told me to "eat my broccoli!" (thankfully, because I have never liked milk).
The following was found on the rec.food.veg newsgroup (part of the FAQ), and
is related:

WHAT ABOUT CALCIUM?

Green leafy vegetables such as kale are as good or better than milk as
calcium sources. Other good sources include: White/Wholemeal bread, Taco
Shells, Oats, Soyabeans, Tofu, Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Pistachios, Sunflower
Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Flax Seed, Carob, Carrots, Cabbage, Garlic, Parsley
Spirulina, Chives, Seaweed, Cauliflower, Okra, Cassava, Figs, Papaya,
Rhubarb, Molasses...

In fact, research has been done on vegans (who eat no meat, no dairy)
and I while don't remember all of the details regarding the results, I do
remember that it was found that they are *less* likely to suffer osteoporosis
than the general population.  I wish that I had the study results here to
cite ... moral of the story, it's not necessary to drink large amounts of
milk (or even any) to get calcium and to avoid osteoporosis.  There are
plenty of sources available.

Dianne Marsh              -- dianne at cbi.com

Computational Biosciences, Inc.
P.O. Box 2090