Girls & Science

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Wed Feb 22 14:32:01 EST 1995

how prevalent this type of incident is.  If typical, it suggests the
existence
of a particularly sturdy glass ceiling, set at a fairly low level on the
career ladder.

Beth<<<<

I can only offer another bit of anecdotal evidence. When I was a postdoc I
worked with a very talented Japanese woman who was working as a
"volunteer" - basically, she was an unpaid technician - while her husband
did a postdoc in the lab across the hall. When we asked why she was
willing to work without pay, she explained that once they moved back to
Japan she would be expected to stay home and be a "faculty wife" and that
doing lab work would be out of the question because it could negatively
impact her husband's image and career. She loved doing research and wanted
to do as much of it as she could before being "forced" into "retirement."
Pretty sad waste, IMHO.
Sherry Marts
American Health Assistance Foundation