The Bell Curve

Jill Ann Weber jweber at mail2.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 22 21:08:40 EST 1995

It seems to me that we are being inundated right now with lots of new
studies (i.e The Bell Curve, the TV show on gender differences) because
the status quo is feeling threatened.  There seems to be this need to
legitimize the predominantly male and predominantly white authority and
power structure in this country.  The best way to do this is, of course,
with these propagandistic studies.  Later, when asked why women make less
money for the same job and why fewer minorities -- especially blacks --
hold certain jobs, then these same studies can be cited.  As a Ph.d
student in archaeology, I can safely say that this happens in ancient
history all the time.  When do kings feel the need to create monumental
stelea extolling their virtues and power?  They do this when their power
is weakened and questioned.  I think we are observing the same type o
fthing right now.  I heard or read somewhere that the major difference in
the November elections was the large amount of young white male voters
who went Republican.  They were afraid of losing money and jobs to gender
and race initiatives.  As ridiculous as some of the ideas expressed in
these studies and books are, I almost feel that women and other
minorities should feel proud for causing this great fear.

Anyway, just a thought...

Jill Weber
jweber at mail.sas.upenn.edu