guenzel at guenzel at
Wed Feb 22 02:50:51 EST 1995

Dear women-in-bio!

I have been reading your "news" for quite a while and have enjoyed it a
lot. But I have never posted myself. I hope you don't find the topic too
much out of place, but today I got the following message and was asked to
distribute it. And I thought, by posting it to a news-group I might at
least reach a lot of people.

The message is:

I just got the following. Feel free to send it to anyoneyou want.

From: Jan Alexandersson <Jan.Alexandersson at de.uni-sb.dfki>
To: all at
Subject: [Felix Saltor <saltor at>: Chiapas]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:15:35 +0100

Subject: emergency message from Mexico: please, diffuse it as much as
 From: Goodwin at (Chuck Goodwin)
 Subject: Massacre in Chiapas

We've just recevied an emergency call from friends in Mexico.
They tell us that the Mexican army has surrounded the city of San Cristobal
in Chiapas, and that the hospital in the nearby city of Comitan is flooded with
casualties. The press is being excluded from the area. The people being
attacked are the Mayan Indians, and other poor farmers, who've been denied
land and food since the conquest.

They've asked that we try to get word about this out via email. While we
have no further information beyond this one call I ask you to pass this
message on, or tell anyone you think relevant via any means so that this
does not occur in silence.

Chuck Goodwin
University of South Carolina
Colubmia SC 29208