Amusing name story- was Should I change my name

Lori Kohlstaedt kohlstaedt at sbmm1.ucsb.edu
Sat Feb 25 22:49:09 EST 1995

John Alsobrook wrote about the amusement of getting phone solicitations for
that non-existent person of the opposite sex with the same name.  I'm not
married, but I have shared my home for several years with a gentleman who,
of course, has a different last name.

A couple of years back while I was eating my breakfast, I received a phone
call asking for "Mr. Kohlstaedt."  "Aha," thought I, "a salesman."  So I
said, "He's dead." (my father died many years ago)  This lead to much
confusion on the other end of the line.  After some hemming and hawing my
caller said, "I just wanted to talk to the author of this Science paper that
was published today."  Sure enough, he was a reporter and he wanted to talk
to ME about my work.  I guess in the future that reporter will ask for DR.
so-and-so; it's a lot safer.  And I'll probably be less flip when I answer
the telephone from now on.  -- L.K.

Lori Kohlstaedt
Dept. of Chemistry, UCSB
(805) 893-8687