osteoporosis: 2 p's worth

kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 14:58:01 EST 1995

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin.

The fat in milk is primarily a calorific necessity for the growing young;
however, when we drink cow's milk we are drinking a useful, albeit rich mix of
fat soluable vitamins: E, A and D. A and d are necessary for one another's
metabolism; E is a cofactor in many metabolic processes; and spring grass - the
natural food of the non-domesticated bovine when producing a calf in the usual
timetable - is rich in all three vitamins. you might say that the milk is a
concentrate of grass, effectively.

Do adultand teenage human women need full-fat milk? depends on whether you get
a lot of fat from other sources. If I were using milk against osteo and chose
to reduce the fat I got from other parts of my diet, i would say yes: drink
full-fat milk, organic if at all possible, it's an excellent food. If my diet
was high in other fats which i did not wish to relinquish, then no: I'd drink
skimmed milk at the meals where i consumed the fats I preferred.

My conclusions from the various benefits of fats, oestrogens, and exercise as
advertised in all sorts of press and my experience in the USA and abroad leads
me to believe that the States - as a very rich economy will do - encourages us
to believe that we should be too thin whilst over-feeding us at the same time.

STUFF THAT. Do your breast exams, increase your E if you have fibrous masses in
the breast or uterus; watch out for A toxicity (an easy thing to do with
supplements);  exercise enough to work off a few extra calories in the whole
milk; and drink whole milk if you can digest it unless you have a different fat
addiction you can't shake off. your body is a product and an agent of
evolution; when we were evolving our digestive systems and our
nutrient-absorption capacity skimmed milk wasn't an option (nor, poor
foremothers, was chocolate! :-)    ).

cheers

katherine J. Kaye