Women scientist in fiction

Melisande MRW5 at psuvm.psu.edu
Wed Jan 4 00:49:01 EST 1995

If someone does come up with a list, could you send it to me too and/or
post it.  As for examples... there's David Brin, in both Earth and Glory
Seaon.  In the first, a brilliant female theorist saves the world, and in
the second, in the distant past a woman did created a completely matriarchal
society in which the novel takes place.  I know there are a lot of short story
length works in which women scientists are protagonists/main characters,
particularly in science fiction.  But finding them all would mean going through
10 years worth of a monthly magazine, and I don't have the time (or the
magazines here).  In terms of authors, Janet Kagan comes to mind, also Nancy
Kress (mentioned in a previous post).  Orson Scott Card in the Ender series
(the second and third book).  I could probably go on for hours, but most
of my library is still at my parents' house.
Did EVERYONE in science read "A Wrinkle in Time"?  It was one of my all-time
favoriate books as a child, and it's aged well.  I don't know that it inspired
me to go into science (I had a mom to do that :)), but my fiance recently
mentioned the impression it had on HIM.
Now, if we could all be Mrs. Murray....

Melisande