Wrinkle in Time and fictional scientists

Jessie Micales jmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 5 16:27:43 EST 1995

>I think we have a REAL problem in how the world sees us.  There are
>two types of scientist that appear in popular culture.  There is the
>distant old gray bearded guy, a bit like the high priest of science
>interpretting it for the minions, who is out of touch with the real
>world, and there is the young, ambitious,
>immoral guy who will do anything for money/glory without regard for
>its consequences. Neither of these are women.   If
>not actually the baddie, scientists are not
>usually goodies either.  Where is the diversity of people who actually
>DO science?  The idealism?  The compulsion to KNOW?  Why can't scientists
>be seen as heros in popular culture?

>oh well, just another voice in the wilderness....

>susan
>susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu

Don't forget The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton (sp?).  Remember the
epileptic woman scientist who has a petite mal seizure while screening
Petri plates and misses the key data as to how to kill the nasty beasties?
Fortunately one of her male colleagues figures it out, thus saving the
world.  Not very PC, but this was done in the '60s. Not much of a role
model, I'm afraid.